Yesterday I truly had the best birthday in my adult life. My husband is awesome! So, thank you, thank you, thank you honey! I am so grateful for you and feel so blessed that you care for me as you do. Have I mentioned that I am the luckiest gal in the world? You'll find out below just how thoughtful and carefully planned out my day was! (And to my many friends who called me, that was so wonderful and unexpected! And yes, I know, as you reminded me, that I am very lucky to be married to Chris). LOL!
The day started with me dreading my birthday. Yes, it was a big one, and NO I'm not going to say what one. You can figure that one out yourselves. :-) Anyway, I was really dreading the day, and wanted nothing more than to hide under my covers and come out on the other side of the day. My boys and hubby brought me breakfast in bed, along with my laptop for some leisurely surfing. I DID smile and said thank you, but when they left I was back to my grumpy self, pondering age in general, and time.... and how it goes by so quickly.
My only instruction for the day was to be ready to leave by about 9:30am. At that time I was ready and waiting and was blindfolded so I couldn't see where we were going. I just was told it was about 15 minutes away. It was while I was driving in the car that I realized, I really don't like surprises! At all! Well especially ones were I am not in control... and with surprises, you are never really in control...right? When we arrived at our destination, I was escorted in (still blindfolded) to what I discovered was a day spa. I was so surprised and a little mortified by the people staring at the blindfolded woman. Dh is so funny and I have to love his huge heart.... he gets so excited and speaks in such a loud voice! He practically announced to the entire salon, "That since you take such good care of us, it's your turn on your___ ___ birthday to be taken care of!" lol! I laugh about it now, and find him endearing, but at the time I would have liked a hole to swallow me up. (Did I mention I didn't like this birthday milestone?) grin Dh and the boys left, and I began my morning. A Swedish massage (never had one before), a manicure and a pedicure. (Never had a pedicure either). Most of my friends could not believe that....but it's true! I definitely want another one though! lol! It was the most relaxing way to wake up, and I found that by the end of my time at the spa, my mood had lifted completely! I mean who can stay grumpy after all of that? LOL!
The family picked me up around 1pm and we headed home, where I found the dining room decorated with balloons and streamers and 3 small presents. I usually plan and decorate for all our birthdays and I never get myself streamers or balloons, because... well I'm not decorating on my own birthday. I had mentioned that to dh one year, and he remembered.... how thoughtful! Also on the table were a plethora of birthday cards! Tons of them, spread out everywhere!
While the kids were playing in the playroom, and dh was preparing lunch, I got to leisurely open all of those cards. Some made me cry and some made me crack up! We had our lunch and a birthday cake......and then the phone calls started! I found out that dh had written a letter to all my family and friends to send cards for this birthday. (Remember it was a special one). He also told them to call me between 3 and 5pm on three separate phones. He wanted to bombard me with well wishes on my birthday! :-) It was awesome because several of these folks I hadn't spoken to in years! We had just lost touch.... some 3 years, and some 5 years! Just thinking about those conversations brings such a smile to my face.
My boys did awesome keeping the secret, and it must have been sooo hard for them. You'll know why next. At about 5:30ish our doorbell rings and our good friends from church are outside. I look at Chris like your kidding me, and before he answers the door I mutter something like, "my house is a wreck". But no... I found out that my children were leaving for the entire evening! They had packed their backpacks themselves and were off to a sleepover and we were off to dinner by ourselves. (I really don't think it could get any better...)
I was informed by Chris that reservations had been made at a nice restaurant close to home. Afterward we would be seeing the movie "Get Smart". My face just lit up! I wanted to say, "For Real?" This past Christmas a client had given Chris a gift card to the restaurant, so dinner was free. We sat in a lovely booth, definitely one that they must save for folks with reservations. It was like a semi-circle couples booth and dh and I sat side by side talking to each other about anything and everything. No interruptions, no rock, paper scissors to occupy the time, no tic tac toe or Word Find on a children's menu... just the two of us enjoying our adult selves. lol! The waiter was great and the food was awesome! Afterward we ran home and changed into some jeans and headed off to the movie. Very funny movie, but I dislike the movie theater. Next time we'll go a little further out of our way to the better one!
We drove home from the movie theater and as we pulled onto our street the clock struck 12:01am. My birthday was over.... and I asked if I could hit the "Replay" button. It truly was the best birthday ever!
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Happy Birthday!
How absolutely WONDERFUL!!! Happy (belated) Birthday!!
That is so SWEET. He put alot of thought into. Yes, you are a lucky gal. (smile)
Happy Belated Birthday ! ! !
Happy Belated Birthday. I wish I'd known it was your birthday when we ran into you. I would have wished you a happy one. ;-) It sounds like it was.
Happy, Happy Birthday!! Sounds like you had a wonderful day!
What an awesome birthday! DH is a keeper for sure!
Post a Comment