Monday, September 22, 2008

Mulling the Private Decision

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... I feel like when I tell my husband I like a piece of furniture in a certain place... and then look at it and go, "Nope I think I like it better where it was." And it's always one of the heaviest pieces of furniture too.... Anyone else do that?

We were all ready to make our blog private on Friday, and then I decided to research a few things. First, people would have to log into the blog every time they read it. Not a problem for google folks, but those who don't have an account (like our folks and family) will have to create one, and then remember the password. We want this to be as easy as possible for our family to stay in touch.

Secondly, if you use google reader like I do... you can't follow a private blog. This is a newer to me function that helps me manage all the blogs I read, and I know a lot of people use it too! I don't know how I waited so long to figure this out, but it helps me tremendously!

Finally, I seem to be a magnet for blogger bugs recently. I swear if they have it, it will probably find me. (I wonder if my blog's immune system has been weakened or something... ) So I am hesitant to go private and get some bug that locks me out, and then no one can read my blog. Which Murphy's Law says would probably happen right before we are ready to leave.

Having said all that... I am still mulling the decision. Thank you all for sending me an email, if we do decide to go private...I will send out an invitation to join our blog!

6 comments:

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Google Reader is wonderful. Rachel told me about it last year when I talked about spending so much time clicking links to all the blogs I follow. I wondered how people always seemed to know when I published a new post ;0)

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about switching to Wordpress? You can import all your posts and comments from your current blog and Wordpress allows you to password protect individual posts.

So google reader still notifies people that there is a new post and they just go to your site and type in the password. You could make the password something really easy for your family to remember.

Becky and Keith said...

I love google reader... it's my favorite! I didn't know that about Wordpress though - good to know! It is definitely harder to keep track of blogs when they are private but I understand your need/wants to mull the decision over. Wherever you go - I'll be there!

Mary and Michael said...

I'm just reading your last few posts tonight. Sorry to hear you had some paperwork problems. I hope they will get that sorted out quickly. I would love to follow along if you decide to go private - mfclare@tx.rr.com

Flamingo said...

just a thought...you could start a new blog like i did and not reveal anything thru pictures or your names until it's time.

what i'm doing to keep all my adoption stuff in one place that even though I'm not updating my adoption blog anymore I am still pasting the posts i do on my new blog...that way they are still in one place for a journal.

Carey and Norman said...

You can always limit what you post if you want to remain open (like children's names, etc.). It is easier said than done. I understand not wanting to go private as I've met some really wonderful people that I probably wouldn't have if we'd gone private. Good luck with your decision.