Saturday, October 25, 2008

Orphanage Donation

On our second trip to Russia, we will be giving the orphanage a clothing donation. Several people I know have either given new or gently used clothing, or purchased diapers while in Russia. I just went to our consignment sale (the same one I visited last Saturday). This morning was their 50% off sale. I was dreading going, but I had a pass for 7:30am, and knew there would be very few in attendance that early.

I took ds1 with me and boy was he a huge help! We looked for mainly new and very gently used items. I remembered the advice of my friend Susan from this past summer when we were pricing clothes for a yard sale. Look at the tag to see how worn it looks. So, in addition to inspecting each garment, I looked at the tags. I got some great stuff! Tons really... and quite a few were new! Chris was so proud of me.

So we are going to pack an extra suitcase or two on our second trip, and give each orphanage a bunch of beautiful clothes. I also put the word out to my homeschool group, and will let our church know that we are collecting new or very gently used items to bring to Russia. I really hope that my boys are able to come with us on trip 2, as it would be awesome if they could present the gifts to the orphanage directors.

That's the latest and greatest here.... the only other thing going on is football.... lots and lots of football!

4 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

That sounds like a great idea. I hope your boys can go with you also. What an experience it would be for them!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

It sounds like you have a great donation put together for the children in the orphanage. I did not realize there was a chance you were taking the boys on the 2nd trip. I hope that it works out that they can go with you!

Carey and Norman said...

What a nice gesture. Plus, it will be easier to take donations on this trip when you aren't packing extra clothing and shoes for your children.

Very thoughtful!

Mary and Michael said...

How great if your boys can travel with you for the 2nd trip. You sound so well prepared. I can't wait until you are actually traveling.