Last night ds3 woke up in the middle of the night again(around midnight). Typically he will sit up in bed and just cry. I'm not sure if it's a bad dream or what... but I always scoop him up and bring him to the rocking chair and rock and soothe him. He is pretty calm once I pick him up, I'll ask if he is okay and he'll nod his head and snuggle into me.
I know for a fact that in the orphanage if he cried they did not pick him up. As a matter of fact they advised us to do the same once he was home with us. There reasoning was that he will expect that every time and he can just re-settle himself. They recommended just giving him a bottle. Interesting advice and probably quite necessary in an orphanage with 15 other babies. But obviously not for us... nope.
I told Chris last night that I am so thankful that ds3 is waking up at night and crying. Why? Because I have the opportunity to change a learned behavior in him. He's learned that when he cries no one comes, but now he is learning that when he cried mama comes and picks him up and snuggles him. She kisses his little head repeatedly and says "It's okay, mama's here, mama loves you." Then after awhile when he answers that he is ready to go back to sleep, I lay him down and whisper one more time... "Night night, I love you."
His perspective is changing ever so slowly day by day.... as he opens himself up to us. I don't get to see it while in the midst of it, but sometimes like now, I get to see glimpses of growth and change... and I just love that!
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I am so glad you found him.. it is wonderful that you are seeing the progress. :)
I am teary eyed thinking about him crying at the baby home and no one picking him up...so glad he is home now and has you to love on him! A Mommy is irreplaceable!!!!! and you are GREAT at it!
Hope you are having a great weekend. I can tell you that the sleep issues WILL get better. You are doing the right thing.
Kristine
That's an awesome story - thanks so much for sharing it with us!
I know exactly what you mean. I had a similar situation happen awhile back. It is so hard to see the progress in the everyday grind, but it is so sweet when the Lord shows us just how far we have come! You are doing great!
What a special time you both have. Those close times are so precious.
Melissa
that's awesome jackie!
i can't believe they told you to do the same thing! what the heck?
I'm so thankful that you have these times too. So many things our little ones missed and I'm glad you are able to soothe your son's needs to help him understand that you will respond when he needs you. So sweet!
Awww...I love it, so sweet. I sometimes like it when Daniel wakes, although it's rare when he wakes and crys anymore. I still love comforting him even after a year. I'm glad you can comfort and calm him. He will grow up knowing he's loved!
Post a Comment