Monday, January 21, 2008

Some more random thoughts....

No updates on the adoption arena.... I am so hoping at least someone gets some news from our agency about either a referral or court dates... Please let it be this week!

On the home front, I have some random thoughts going on:

  • I'm so proud of my ds1 and his hard work in Math. he has just done phenomenally and is about to finish level Gamma and move onto Delta in our math curriculum. He really knows his multiplication well. And I'm not just talking facts, I'm talking for example: 5497 x 3875 = 21,300,875. No calculator at all. He really was struggling with this a few weeks back, and so we stopped moving forward and just reviewed, and practiced these for almost 2 weeks. That hard work has really paid off, and I am thrilled for him! He has learned what makes a number prime or composite and can name them if you ask. He is quite ready to move onto division.

  • Not to be outdone, his younger brother is getting ready to start multiplication himself in two weeks. He too has worked very hard on his subtraction and addition (5 digits). We also stopped moving forward with him, and reviewed and practiced these kinds of problems over and over. 54,126 - 38,659 = 15,467. Lots of regrouping and keeping place value straight...it's hard for an 8 year old!

  • Finally, we began studying Medieval Times today. I like this sooo much better than Ancient History. I myself find this period of time interesting, so consequently am finding it much more fun to teach. We will be making a huge castle out of refrigerator boxes, and some more fun projects over the coming weeks. This weekend we will be heading to the dining experience called none other than Medieval Times. It will give them an idea of what a meal was like in that time period, and they have jousting etc. It should be really awesome! I think it will be a highlight in our studies this semester.

If you read my other blog you know we are still on the hunt for a car/truck. It is much harder than I imagined to steer clear of a large car payment. But we are still looking a trying our best to be wise in our decision making process.....

2 comments:

Karen said...

When I was a teenager, we went to Medieval Times and I still remember how much fun it was!

We enjoyed studying kings and queens last year and the kiddos LOVED our castle out of boxes.

I know you guys will have a great time with this one :)

Troy and Rachel said...

I love the Medievil time period also. It's so interesting and castles never go out of style!! Good luck on the car hunt and I certainly hope we start hearing news of referrals/court dates soon also.