Monday, May 5, 2008

Catching up in the kitchen.

My husband has the nightly "tuck the boys into bed" routine. I was very much a part of that when they were little, but as they have grown, daddy has taken over this ritual. By that time of the day, I'm ready to send them to bed, no questions asked, see you in the morning, and good night! Lately Chris and the boys have been having pillow/tickle fights, until they ripped one of their good pillow shams, and then mom put the kabash to that. lol!

So tonight on his way out of their room, ds1 says to Chris.... tell mom not to forget a Mexican food for tomorrow. What?!?!? Then it dawns on me, ds1 said yesterday that they were having a Mexican fiesta party for his Y homeschool enrichment class..... Aiy Yai Yai! Dh looks at me like "You've got to be kidding" when I tell him that our son wanted to bring empanadas. Do you know how long it takes to make those? Yes, I did and I was not looking forward to it.

So, dh ran to the store at 9:30pm, and got back and we started working together to make apple filled empanadas. Talk about w-o-r-k! It would have been so much easier to make my crockpot fiesta chicken. We couldn't find the recipe we used a year ago during our Around the World Day event when we presented Mexico.... so we pulled up one that was semi-close on the net and went to work. While the empanadas didn't turn out as well as I would have liked... (a bit too doughy). Both Chris and I had a great time just catching up together at the kitchen table. We talked about work, school, church, and our adoption.... It was a pleasant evening catching up and re-connecting. And whats' more... those empanadas are done! :-)

Edit to add: Eww.... I just went back and tasted those empanadas. I don't care for them at all... They aren't doughy, they are more like too much of a biscuit. Bleck. I'm such a perfectionist that I don't even want to send them, but Chris would not be thrilled. lol! He liked them a lot! So maybe some kids will too. Not me.... lol!

0 comments: