Monday, July 7, 2008

People Pleaser/Peace Keeper

Hi, I'm Jackie, and I think I'm a people pleaser. I don't think all women are like I am, and men are even less. You see, I care too much about what people think, and how they feel. I like when everyone is "getting along" and "playing nicely". I dislike confrontation of any kind, and really have to pray when I need to confront someone. It's difficult, and I have to remember to do so in love. (And not fear) :-) Maybe I'm a peace keeper. I do like that word so much better than people pleaser. The bible talks about a blessing for the peace keepers... I like that too! lol!

So, today my dear husband called our new agency rep to introduce himself. I had already done this, but he wanted to do so as well. Plus, are you ready for this?,.....after this week we are on our 4th Russian program director. Yes, that is correct FOURTH. Too much turnover in my opinion, I don't care if it is non-profit social work.

So, Chris called our rep to introduce himself, give him some background information on our adoption process, and express his concerns. As I listened to him relate the conversation, I kept thinking... "Gee, I hope you didn't use that tone of voice in the conversation". At one point he said, things got a little heated. I just cringed. Ugh. Dh did say the conversation ended congenially, with each having a better understanding of each other.

Why does that stuff stress me out? I know it was a conversation that needed to happen. I know that dh needed to voice his concerns, as they are also my concerns. I respect that.... and support that. It's just my peace keeping nature that gets all stressed out about it. How come most men can have this conversation and just let it go, while I think/dwell on it for days? I wish I had the ability to just let things roll off my back. My sister is sooo good at doing this, much better than I ever remember her being. I've noticed it recently and I am impressed. I need lessons! LOL!

Anyone else feel this way at times?

Oh, and from that conversation we learned that we are indeed supposedly 1st on the list for a sibling group of 2 boys or 2 girls. I wonder when the call comes, if I'll be ready? You'd think I would be with as long as we have waited.... but I guess you're never really ready.

4 comments:

Tony and Dawn said...

Sorry! I too am concerned as a CHI family and I'll leave my comment to that. Anyway, just remember "where" these disruptions come from and keep the faith. As an old baptist, I'll tell you that the devil does not want you to adopt and will do whatever he can to try and stop you! God Bless -

Becky and Keith said...

Hi, I'm Becky and I'm also a people pleaser so I know EXACTLY where you are coming from! I'm SO sorry to hear you're with another new coordinator and a new director, but I'm glad you were able to confirm you are 1st in line!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! Keep the faith, my dear!!

Troy and Rachel said...

Jackie, I'm a people pleaser too, but sometimes when you've been stepped on enough it doesn't hurt to put it all out there. It may be good that your husband put himself out there. To be honest I made a nuisance of myself towards the end and I fully believe that if I hadn't we would still be waiting for our referral from Vlad. I think sometimes the squeaky wheel does get the grease. Hang in there and if you are first, hopefully you'll be hearing news soon!!

kate said...

I am a people pleaser. Big time.