Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A quick story....

I just have to share about my time with our little guy last evening. Ds3 has this thing which I mentioned earlier of going into his pretend world and not letting the rest of the world in. We really have to model interactive play, because it doesn't come naturally to him.

Anyway, we have a play kitchen set in our playroom. Ds3 liked to open the door and get behind the little door (between the door and the wall.) It was like his hiding place. Now normally this would be a very normal childlike behavior... creating a little house for yourself to play in. But I noticed with ds3, he would hide in there and not let anyone else into that pretend world. If I tried to approach him he would get angry at me.... and that was when he would lash out. We ended up pushing the kitchen set against the wall to avert the situation.
So, having solved that problem with the kitchen center, I saw the same behavior last evening with the play laundry center. He figured out how to move it over and open the door to create a hiding spot for himself. He would go into his pretend world and and I could see the difference in him. It's kind of hard to describe. When I came over to interact he got mad again and yelled and turned away to face the wall. He did not want to interact. He was m-a-d. When I continued to try to interact and hold his hand he pulled it away and started to cry hard...tantrum like. I very sweetly asked him "Can mama play in your house too?" "Mama would like to play with you too." He was still facing sort of away from me, and I was right up close to him speaking softly in his ear. Then I swear he surprised the heck out of me.

I promise you I was sooo expecting a smack from the little guy. He whipped around and raised both arms and threw them around my neck and just wept in my arms! Oh my goodness, I was stunned!

I just hugged him and comforted him and let him know that mama loves him and would love to play with him. I was just so surprised at how he threw himself in my arms.... my poor little guy. As he calmed down, I asked him if he wanted to get a toy to play with mama..... he answered "Da". And so we went to get a toy or two to play with together.

I shared with Chris what had happened and he said, "The poor guy was probably surprised to find that someone loves him enough to want to play with him." Perhaps he is right.... I am just hoping that it's sinking in...how much we love him!

4 comments:

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Wow! That was a precious moment. I got goosebumps just reading about it. It's wonderful that your little guy has a family that loves him so much.

Alisha said...

How sweet! What a special little guy with a wonderful family who loves him so much!

Roger and Joanne said...

So sweet! It looks like the love you all have there in the house is turning a corner for your new little one. Much continued success.

Flamingo said...

that is such an awesome story. it is so good to have this all in writing because your milestones will seem huge and a year from now you will be amazed at how far he has come.

i had to admit that i thought i knew what was going to happen. i thought he might be going into the corner to poop. my youngest does that..he hides and if you talk to him while he is "hiding" he gets ticked! i would too...i hate when my kids talk to me when i'm on the toilet!